Happy Thanksgiving to one and all, despite the fact it was yesterday here, it is currently Thanksgiving in Vancouver, and that’s what counts.
Here is my (first) annual list of things for which I am thankful:
1. I am thankful for my parents, are are surprisingly cool, wonderfully supportive and still ridiculously in love, despite being married for almost 30 years. Plus, they live in China, so I get to visit
2. I am thankful for my brother Thomas, who is in a band, and who makes the BEST apple pies you can imagine.
3. I am thankful for my brother Joel, who has a blog, and who never lets me say anything stupid without pulling me up on it. Also, he wrote a rock opera, and has a song in 5/4 time just for me.
4. I am thankful for Thomas’ girlfriend Kaely, who is lovely and friendly and sweet, and a bit like the sister I never had.
5. I am thankful for MEGAN! She’s far away, but she’s the best best friend a girl could have. As well as my most loyal blog visitor. And I’m thankful for our friendship, which is now into its twelfth year and still going strong, despite distance and time.
6. I am thankful for my assorted friends, who all share each of their own lovely qualities with me. Every one has a unique perspective. It’s a cliche (which is also a cliche), but those individual differences make life so much richer.
7. I am thankful for books. Oh, I am so grateful to own and read so many books! How dull life would be without them. I’m so thankful for all the things I get to learn, the words I get to enjoy, and the experience of sharing books with others.
8. I am thankful for Sufjan Stevens– not that that ought to surprise you. His music has been a constant source of joy and pleasure for me this year. I very much hope that, this time next year, I’m thankful for his new album 😉
9. I am thankful for a new job, that I enjoy, and a career of which I am proud and with which I am content. I am truly blessed to have found a career path at 24!!
10. I am thankful for Skype, for my computer with webcam, and for the fact I can easily and cheaply converse with my parents, though the live on the opposite side of the globe.
11. I am thankful for my lovely little flat in Ultimo, my flatmates there, past and present, and the fact I have a tiny home in the wild, wild world.
12. I am thankful that Barack Obama won the US Election.
13. I am thankful for the dozen-or-so political writers who’ve kept me entertained and engaged all year. I am especially thankful for Ezra Klein, whose writing is both informative and inspirational. I am thankful for Bloggingheads.tv, from which I have learnt much, both about politics, but also about how to have a constructive disagreement.
14. I am thankful- and this is pretty stupid- for my Lululemon pants. I freaking love them.
15. I am thankful for you, my loyal readers, and the fact I live in an age and place where I was educated, have internet access, have my own computer and have the freedom to write.
So, dear readers, what are you thankful for?